How do you make Autumn Oatmeal Porridge?
Most mornings I make hot oatmeal porridge for breakfast. I love how everyday you can make your oatmeal porridge differently through the fruit, nuts and spices that you add to it. For some suggestions on how to make a tasty and healthy bowl of hot grains for breakfast read this post from last April.
A bowl of hot grains is an ideal way to start your day. You’ll get a good dosage of fiber and anti-oxidants which will help reduce your cholesterol levels, enhance your immune response to infection, and stabilize blood sugar levels helping to lower your risk of Type 2 diabetes. In short, it will help your heart, digestion, immune system and energy levels.
Last week I made a wonderful bowl of Autumn Oatmeal Porridge by adding some pureed pumpkin, frozen cranberries, fresh walnuts, sliced apples, fresh grated ginger and ground cinnamon. It was a bowl of yumminess.
I just wanted to share the joy with you I experienced with this bowl of Autumn Oatmeal Porridge and hope that it will inspire you to create your own bowl of wonder. See the recipe below and please share with your friends. I’d also love to hear from you about the hot creations you’ve made using whole grains.
Autumn Oatmeal Porridge (Vegan)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cups rolled oats whole grain
- 6 oz pumpkin puree or cut fresh pumpkin (see notes)
- 1/4 cup cranberries frozen or dried
- 1 apple sliced
- 1/2 inch ginger grated
- 1 oz walnuts crumbled
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tbsp brown sugar coconut sugar or agave syrup
- almond milk or another nut or vegetable milk (optional)
- Put the water in a pot over high heat with cover on. Continue until boil.
- Add the rolled oats into the boiling water. Reduce heat to low and cover. After about 3 minutes, add the pumpkin puree, cranberries, apples, and grated ginger and stir gently. Continue to cook another 2 minutes, checking to make sure that there is still water.
- Turn off heat and remove pot. Add the cinnamon, chopped walnuts and the sweetener. If you want, add a splash of non-dairy milk. Stir and let sit a minute or two.
- Pour the cooked oatmeal porridge in two bowls and serve.