(Cliquez ci-dessous pour la version française de la recette)
Uncle Brad’s Sugar Pie recipe is one of Belgian Foodie’s favorites. It’s been made loads of time by Uncle Brad, always with much success. I’ve prepared this pie for neighborhood potlucks, friends’ home for dinner, and for serving at home.
It’s the buttermilk in the recipe that makes Uncle Brad’s Sugar Pie so delicious. It offsets the normal sweetness of this pie. I’m personally not fond of anything that tastes too sweet (to me). In recipes featuring sugar, I often try to add something sour or tart to tone down the sweetness of the dessert.
The buttermilk in this pie also helps the filling become slightly custard-like while adding a rich flavor. Although the buttermilk gives a rich flavor, it is naturally lower in fat (usually 1% to 2% fat) than whole milk (3.5% fat).
You may prepare Uncle Brad’s Sugar Pie with either a puff pastry (pâte feuilletée) crust or pastry crust (pâte brisée). Use your favorite recipe for the pie crust or use a store-bought crust. If you choose a store-bought crust, the filled pie crust can be put in the oven within minutes.
Hope you and your loved ones will enjoy Uncle Brad’s Sugar Pie as much as so many others have. Spread the joy by forward ing this pie recipe to your friends. Remember to share your comments below!
Uncle Brad's Sugar Pie
- 2 egg
- 250 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp butter size of walnut
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 200 g sugar raw sugar, white sugar, light brown sugar, brown sugar, or a combination of sugars
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla or 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 270 g pastry crust follow link for pastry crust or use a flaky crust
- Preheat oven at 325°F / 170° C
- Mix all ingredients together in order mentioned above.
- Roll out the pie crust onto a pie tin. Pour the mixed ingredients into the pie crust.
- Put the pie tin into the oven for approximately 45 minutes (or until golden on top). Enjoy!